3/26/2020 UPDATE: Due the local and national precautions put into place regarding COVID-19 and sheltering-in-place, MMT is only providing online therapy at this time. If you are a current or new client and are interested in starting this process, please read more here.
Metro Music Therapy and Studio PTC are aware of the current state of hyper vigilance of COVID-19, aka “Corona Virus,” and are staying abreast of additional precautions that may need to be put into place in the near future. We feel this is a good time to let you know our plan should the virus effect you/your family, our team members, or the city of Atlanta at large.
MMT & STUDIO PTC’s STANDARD OPERATING ILLNESS POLICY (We already do this!)
Our therapists work with medically fragile clients, and we do not want to carry any illnesses to other families, infect ourselves, or our own families. Please cancel your therapy appointment if the client is sick. If your therapist is called or notified about the illness at least 12 hours before your scheduled appointment time, you will not be charged a “no-show” fee for your session. Again, it is understood that there are emergency situations and illnesses that can occur and these situations will be handled on a case to case basis. The Board of Health considers the following signs/symptoms as indications of communicable illness/disease: vomiting, diarrhea, rash/swelling, fever over 100◦, sore throat, red or running eyes. Please be sure you or the client is symptom-free for 24 hours before resuming therapy.
PREVENTION (We should all do these things now!)
If you or your loved one are sick, it is ideal and highly preferred that you cancel your therapy appointment by contacting your therapist directly with at least 12 hours’ notice; however, even short notice is better than no notice which allows our therapists to avoid unnecessary travel to and from your home or facility.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has published a list of things that you can do to help prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing • If available, soap and water should be used preferentially over hand sanitizer if hands are visibly dirty
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Stay home when you are sick (please see our current illness policy if you have any questions)
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe
- Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask:
- The CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19
- Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others
CURRENT PRECAUTIONS FOR OUR STAFF (Our staff already does this and will continue to do so!)
Our staff are already operating by the following precautions and procedures:
- Washing hands before and after each session, after eating, using the restroom, touching their face, or when their hands are visibly dirty
- Utilizing hand sanitizer in lieu of soap and water in all of the above situations only if soap and water are not present
- Sanitizing instruments in between each session
- Staying home and cancelling sessions if they are sick
- Following all additional CDC standards listed in the Prevention Section above
- If our staff arrive on-site and a client, or a client’s family member or roommate(s) are sick, our therapists have been informed that they will leave that site immediately and the caregiver/point of contact should call the therapist to resume therapy and reschedule missed appointments only when client(s) have been symptom-free for at least 48 hours
At this time, our team is only able to provide teletherapy via our accounts on a HIPAA-protected online platform.
If you have any questions for myself or our team, please reach out any time.
Your partner in good health,
Mallory Even, LPMT, MT-BC, NICU MT
Owner & Director, Metro Music Therapy & Studio PTC